Twelve-time grand slam tennis champion Novak Djokovic will miss the rest of the season to recover from a right elbow injury.
After consulting doctors, the 30-year-old Serbian posted a video statement on Facebook in which he said he had decided to let the injury heal which caused him to retire during his Wimbledon quarter-final against Czech Tomas Berdych earlier this month.
In a press conference, Djokavic spoke of his attempts to play through the injury,
“This is a year and a half old injury, which has bothered me in a number of tournaments across the whole period, but the problem escalated in the past two months, particularly at Wimbledon where I had to withdraw at the quarter final stage.”
I took time to make a decision about my recovery. Sorry for keeping you in the dark these days. Read more here https://t.co/tCSw46TOL2— Novak Djokovic (@DjokerNole) July 26, 2017
Djokovic has endured a difficult 12 months on the court, losing all of his grand slam titles one after another. And after Andy Murray nabbed his world number one ranking, he said next year he’ll be battling his way back to the top.