Rock am Ring goes ahead

Rock am Ring goes ahead
Copyright 
By Catherine Hardy with REUTERS
Share this articleComments
Share this articleClose Button
Copy/paste the article video embed link below:Copy to clipboardCopied

Crowds are gathering once again for the Rock Am Ring music festival in Germany.

ADVERTISEMENT

Crowds are gathering once again for the Rock Am Ring music festival in Germany.

People headed back to the venue near the Nurburgring race track a day after the site was evacuated due to what police described as a “potential terrorist threat”.

Organisers say performances resumed early on Saturday afternoon.

“We had intelligence on three people from Hesse. At least one has direct links to the world of terrorism, Islamic terrorism,” Koblenz police chief Christoph Semmelrogge told reporters.

Festival organiser Marek Lieberberg paid tribute to festival goers, saying the site was cleared in just 15 minutes.

The organisers of Rock am Ring said intensive searches have been carried out. 90,000 people are expected at the festival, which ends on Sunday.

Tension is high at the moment. 22 people died and scores were injured in a suicide bomb attack at a pop concert in the UK city of Manchester last month.

Share this articleComments

You might also like

Court maintains far-right AfD's 'suspected extremist' status

Germany limits cash benefit payments for asylum-seekers as migration numbers increase

Another German politician attacked as concerns rise over pre-European elections violence