ADVERTISEMENT

Nagorno-Karabakh truce shows signs of fracture

Nagorno-Karabakh truce shows signs of fracture
Copyright 
By Euronews
Share this articleComments
Share this articleClose Button
Copy/paste the article video embed link below:Copy to clipboardCopied

Azerbaijan has accused Armenian-backed separatists of violating a new ceasefire agreed on Tuesday. While the Armenian side accused Azerbaijan of shelling its positions.

ADVERTISEMENT

An uneasy truce is already showing signs of fracture in the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh.

Azerbaijan has accused Armenian-backed separatists of violating a new ceasefire agreed on Tuesday. While the Armenian side accused Azerbaijan of shelling its positions.

Nagorno-Karabakh lies inside Azerbaijan but is controlled by ethnic Armenians. It has run its own affairs with Armenian support since a separatist war ended in 1994. A ceasefire had held since this date, but no official peace deal was signed.

That ceasefire was shattered over the weekend, and dozens of people were killed. Azerbaijan’s army said they had seized territory from the separatists towards the border with Iran. Azeri officials said that ethnic Armenian forces had been using the positions to launch artillery strikes on Azeri villages.

Share this articleComments

You might also like

EU Parliament accuses Baku of 'ethnic cleansing' in Nagorno-Karabakh

Azerbaijan issues warrant for former separatist leader as UN mission arrives in Nagorno-Karabakh

UN mission arrives in Nagorno-Karabakh for first time in 30 years