Newsletter Newsletters Events Events Podcasts Videos Africanews
Loader
Advertisement

Deadly Ankara blasts highly likely to be suicide bombings, says Turkish PM

Deadly Ankara blasts highly likely to be suicide bombings, says Turkish PM
Copyright 
By Reuters, Dogan
Published on
Share Comments
Share Close Button
Copy/paste the article video embed link below: Copy to clipboard Copied

Intelligence suggests the twin blasts in Turkey were suicide bombings, the prime minister announces, with more than 80 confirmed dead.

At least 86 people have died in twin blasts in Ankara, which Turkish officials claim are likely to have been suicide bombings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

In the deadliest attack of its kind in modern Turkey’s history, the explosions ripped through a rally of pro-Kurdish and leftist activists in the centre of the country’s capital.

==

Update: Death toll from twin blasts in #Turkey rises to 86 (AFP pic) http://t.co/WYufW3sBmz pic.twitter.com/EFM0Cy2a33

— China Xinhua News (@XHNews) October 10, 2015

`` Health Minister, Mehmet Muezzinoglu, announced 186 people had been injured, 28 of whom are said to be in intensive care.

Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu has announced the government has “substantial intelligence that the attack was undertaken by two suicide bombers.”

He has declared three days of national mourning.

The blasts occurred in quick succession near the exit of Ankara’s main train station, at 10.04 am local time.

Turkish government officials say they are treating the incident as a terrorist attack

Davutoglu quickly arranged a meeting with heads of Turkey’s police and intelligence agencies. He has been roundly criticised by the opposition in the aftermath of the blasts.

Leader of the opposition CHP Party Kemal Kilicdaroglu told the press:
“I don’t want to blame anyone in particular today. But, of course, we have to underline something: is this how a country is being ruled? We can live together peacefully in this country.”

The pro-Kurdish HDP has blamed the ruling AK Party for the attack, with leader Selahattin Demirtaş reportedly labelling the AKP “murderers.” Both parties have cancelled forthcoming rallies for the November 1 general election.

Go to accessibility shortcuts
Share Comments

Read more

Turkish police fire tear gas and arrest at least 570 people at May Day rallies

Dozens of arrests made in Turkey ahead of 1 May celebrations, Istanbul prosecutor says

Opinion: The courage to speak