Bangkok ‘s Erawan shrine has reopened to the public after Monday’s bomb blast in which at least 20 people died – over half of their foreigners – and scores were injured.
Floral tributes were laid and prayers said, as people came to mourn the dead.
A second explosive thrown from a bridge towards a river pier on Tuesday increased unease especially among tourists even though no one was injured.
“It’s all pretty scary, obviously two bombs in two days, so we are going to move on to Chiang Mai where it is a bit quieter,“said British tourist Chris Harris.
In a bid to reassure the public especially foreign visiters Thai police spokesperson Prawut Thavornsiri said that officers, not just in Bangkok but all around the country are to protect tourist attractions . All the crowded places such as train stations and bus stations and theatres were mentioned.
At the same time the hunt is on for a suspect caught on CCTV near the popular shrine where the bomb was left. He is seen leaving a backpack against a fence before walking away carrying what appears to be a mobile phone. Thai police have now made it known they believe the bomber may have had accomplices.
So far no one has claimed responsibility for the attack, and the police have not ruled out any group, including the military government, although officials have said the attack does not match the tactics of Muslim insurgents in the south.