Newsletter Newsletters Events Events Podcasts Videos Africanews
Loader
Advertisement

Malaysia seeks €216m compensation from Norwegian firm over scrapped missile deal

The USS Fitzgerald fires a Naval Strike Missile during the RIMPAC 2024 military exercise, 18 July, 2024
The USS Fitzgerald fires a Naval Strike Missile during the RIMPAC 2024 military exercise, 18 July, 2024 Copyright  Petty Officer 2nd Class Jordan Jennings
Copyright Petty Officer 2nd Class Jordan Jennings
By Gavin Blackburn
Published on Updated
Share Comments
Share Close Button

Delivery of the Naval Strike Missile system as well as launcher components was revoked that had been destined for Malaysia's littoral combat ship programme under the terms of a 2018 deal.

Malaysia is seeking more than $251 million (€216 million) in compensation from a Norwegian company over a scrapped deal to supply a missile system for new warships, the defence minister said on Tuesday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Mohamed Khaled Nordin said the government had sent a notice to Kongsberg Defence & Aerospace demanding compensation for both "direct and indirect costs" over Norway's decision to revoke export approvals for the missile system, sparking a diplomatic row.

Oslo's foreign ministry has confirmed "that certain licences related to the export of specific defence technology to Malaysia have been revoked."

This was "solely due to Norway's application of the export control regulations and it is regrettable that this affects Malaysia," the ministry said, adding that it could not comment on individual contracts.

The move had blocked delivery of the Naval Strike Missile system as well as launcher components that had been destined for Malaysia's littoral combat ship programme under the terms of a 2018 deal.

Visitors are gathered next to a display of an NSM Naval Strike Missile made by Norwegian company Kongsberg in Le Bourget, 29 October, 2014
Visitors are gathered next to a display of an NSM Naval Strike Missile made by Norwegian company Kongsberg in Le Bourget, 29 October, 2014 AP Photo

Mohamed Khaled told reporters at the Lumut naval shipyard, about 160 kilometres from the capital Kuala Lumpur, that Malaysia was seeking a total of more than 1.0 billion ringgit (€216 million) in compensation.

"The direct costs amount to €126 million, which we have paid to them, and we are also seeking indirect costs," he said.

Malaysian Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim said last week he raised his "vehement objection" in a phone call with his Norwegian counterpart Jonas Gahr Støre, calling the decision "unilateral and unacceptable."

Anwar warned the decision "will have grave consequences for Malaysia's defence operational readiness and the Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) modernisation programme."

The LCS programme, first approved in Malaysia in 2011 with an initial contract worth 6 billion ringgit was for six vessels.

The deal, which had been plagued by allegations of mismanagement and rising costs, was relaunched in 2023 following a government review, with the number of ships reduced to five.

Delivery of the first vessel, expected in August, has been pushed back to December due to delays in equipment deliveries and ongoing rework, according to officials in local media reports.

Mohamed Khaled said Norway's decision had raised questions about the "reliability of international commitment" of defence partners, especially involving Western countries and members of NATO.

Malaysian Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim delivers a speech on the outskirts of Kuala Lumpur, 7 February, 2026
Malaysian Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim delivers a speech on the outskirts of Kuala Lumpur, 7 February, 2026 AP Photo

"What has happened to us is not just a defence procurement issue...but it reflects a larger problem, namely an erosion of trust among countries in international relation matters," he said.

"What Norway has done may be emulated or done by other countries."

Local media reported that Mohamed Khaled will meet with his Norwegian counterpart Tore O. Sandvik in Singapore later this month during the annual Shangri-La Dialogue defence forum.

Additional sources • AFP

Go to accessibility shortcuts
Share Comments

Read more

'Not a dumping ground for the world': Malaysia announces immediate ban on e-waste imports

Malaysia to take legal action against Elon Musk's X and xAI over misuse of Grok chatbot

Chinese court orders Malaysian Airlines to pay damages to families in MH370 case