Newsletter Newsletters Events Events Podcasts Videos Africanews
Loader
Advertisement

Bodies of four divers who drowned in Maldives diving accident found, Italy says

Divers preparing to search for the four missing Italian divers near Alimathaa Island, 15 May, 2026
Divers preparing to search for the four missing Italian divers near Alimathaa Island, 15 May, 2026 Copyright  AP Photo
Copyright AP Photo
By Gavin Blackburn
Published on
Share Comments
Share Close Button

Five Italian divers are believed to have died while exploring a cave at a depth of about 50 metres in Vaavu Atoll on Thursday, according to Italy’s Foreign Ministry.

Italy's foreign ministry said Monday that the bodies of four Italians who drowned during a diving accident in the Maldives had been located.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

The search had resumed on Monday after being suspended following the death of a local military diver during a perilous mission to try to reach them.

Five Italian divers are believed to have died while exploring a cave at a depth of about 50 metres in Vaavu Atoll on Thursday, according to Italy’s Foreign Ministry.

The recreational diving limit in the Maldives is 30 metres.

The body of one Italian, a diving instructor, was found earlier outside the cave.

Three Finnish divers had arrived in the Maldives Sunday to draw up a fresh plan in the search for the bodies of the other four, who were believed to be inside the cave system.

A coastguard boat and other vessels deployed to search for the four missing Italian divers near Alimathaa Island, Vaavu Atoll, Maldives, Saturday, May 15, 2026
A coastguard boat and other vessels deployed to search for the four missing Italian divers near Alimathaa Island, Vaavu Atoll, Maldives, Saturday, May 15, 2026 Maldives President’s Media Division via AP/Maldives President’s Media Division via AP

Maldives presidential spokesperson Mohamed Hussain Shareef said the search was suspended after Mohamed Mahudhee, a member of the Maldivian National Defence Force, died of underwater decompression sickness after being transferred to a hospital in the capital Malé on Saturday.

Shareef said on Sunday that three Finnish divers, experts in deep and cave diving, have arrived in the archipelago nation and joined the Maldives coastguard in a meeting aimed at mapping a new search strategy.

Rough weather has repeatedly hampered rescue efforts.

Initial teams had already dived to identify and mark the entrance to the cave system where the Italians disappeared. The cause of the deaths remains under investigation.

Additional sources • AP, AFP

Go to accessibility shortcuts
Share Comments

Read more

Five Italians die in Maldives cave diving tragedy

Bodies of four divers who drowned in Maldives diving accident found, Italy says

Gaza-bound aid flotilla says it is 'under attack' as Israel intercepts fleet off Cyprus