Newsletter Newsletters Events Events Podcasts Videos Africanews
Loader
Advertisement

EU unveils new migration plan

EU unveils new migration plan
Copyright 
By Euronews
Published on
Share Comments
Share Close Button

The European Commission unveiled a proposal on Tuesday aimed at stemming the flow of migrants from Africa to Europe.

The European Commission unveiled a proposal on Tuesday aimed at stemming the flow of migrants from Africa to Europe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

It is based on a similar migration pact that the 28-member bloc struck with Turkey in March.

EU officials say they will work with countries from Africa, but also the Middle East.

The idea will be to make development aid conditional on those countries cooperating with the EU on reducing those who leave for Europe’s shores.

“We must find solutions sustainable solutions. We cannot tolerate the loss of human lives at this scale and we must do everything we can to stop it,” the Commission’s deputy head, Frans Timmermans, said in a statement.

The European Commission said in a statement that funding could be as high as 62 billion euros.

More than a million refugees and economic migrants entered the EU via the Mediterranean last year.

But the UN refugee agency says more than 10,000 people have died trying to make the crossing since 2014.

Go to accessibility shortcuts
Share Comments

Read more

Air France and Airbus convicted of manslaughter in 2009 Rio-Paris crash over Atlantic

Mother arrested after two French boys found abandoned in Portugal, police say

European carmakers face EU pressure to diversify chip suppliers