EU: social security cover when working abroad

EU: social security cover when working abroad
By Euronews
Share this articleComments
Share this articleClose Button

Question from Andrius in Vilnius:

“I live in Lithuania. My employer wants to “post” me temporarily for a job in France. He said that under EU rules I will still be covered by Lithuanian social security. Is this correct?”

Answer by Isabelle Dochy, Information Officer at Europe Direct:

“In the EU, a posting is when your employer requires you to work for a limited period in another EU country, plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

“You will be covered for up to 2 years by your home country social security. Before leaving, make sure your employer gives you an A1 form. This form allows you and your family to be covered by the system in your home country while working abroad.

“However, if you decide to switch to the social security system of the country where you’re posted, you’ll have to pay contributions there.

“As for healthcare, keep in mind that if you move to France for the whole posting period, you need to ask your home-country authority for an S1 form. You will need to hand over the form to the host-country’s healthcare authorities on arrival. This will entitle you and your family to healthcare during your stay.

“You should know that for the duration of your posting, your employer has to comply with the host country’s employee protection regulation. This includes:

- minimum wage: your salary cannot be lower than the minimum wage in your host-country

- rules concerning maximum work periods and minimum rest periods

- working hours: you may not work more than a specific number of hours

- minimum paid annual leave: you are entitled to holidays.

For more information about the EU, call 00 800 6 7 8 9 10 11 or check out the website:

If you would also like to ask a question on U-talk, click on the button below.

Share this articleComments

You might also like

What has changed after Germanwings tragedy?

Know your rights when your company sends you to work in the EU

MOOC, COOC and SPOC - Different online courses, different needs