Studying the Erasmus way

Studying the Erasmus way
By Euronews
Share this articleComments
Share this articleClose Button

In this edition of U-talk Maroš from Bratislava posed the following question:

“I study law in Bratislava. I have heard that the EU offers grants and scholarships for students to study in other EU countries. How can I apply?”

The reply from Luisa Laranjo, a Communications Officer with Europe Direct:

Under the ERASMUS programme, you have the possibility to go to another European country to study and do a work placement.

You can spend between three to 12 months, for a combined total of 24 months, in another participating country (i.e. all the EU member states as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, Turkey and Croatia).

ERASMUS is open to all students studying in a participating country and enrolled in the second year of higher education studies in their home institution. You can take a placement from your first year.

When you study on an ERASMUS exchange:

- you don’t have to pay registration or tuition fees to your host university;

- your studies abroad count as an integral part of your degree;

- you might get an EU grant towards living and travel expenses.

Students with special needs, such as physical disabilities, may get extra funds to help them cover additional expenses related to their stay abroad.

To participate in ERASMUS, you should first contact the international office of your university/college.

The office will be able to inform you about possible host institutions and host enterprises, the selection procedure and financial support.

For more information about the EU, call 00 800 6 7 8 9 10 11 or check out the website:

If you would also like to ask a question on U-talk, use the ‘Participate’ button.

Share this articleComments

You might also like

What has changed after Germanwings tragedy?

Know your rights when your company sends you to work in the EU

MOOC, COOC and SPOC - Different online courses, different needs