The only confirmed positive case is still doing well and is keen finally to serve a 'normal quarantine'. From Tuesday, the 13 in isolation may leave their rooms wearing PPE and a mask.
In Spain, Madrid's Gómez Ulla Hospital is working this Tuesday to ensure that the 13 people isolated after contact with hantavirus who have once again tested negative can receive “staggered and safe” visits this week, while the only confirmed positive case continues to progress well and is very keen to be able to do his “normal quarantine”.
“They are very excited, they are really looking forward to it, they are very happy to have received the news of the second negative,” said José García, representative of the Independent Trade Union and Civil Servants’ Confederation (CSIF) at Gómez Ulla Hospital, speaking to the media about the 13 passengers from the MV Hondius who on Tuesday are on their ninth day of quarantine in the facility.
Permission to leave their room
The 13 people who had contact with the hantavirus will, from this Tuesday, be allowed to leave their individual rooms and move around the common areas on the same ward where they were admitted, wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) and a face mask as laid down in the protocol established by the Public Health Commission, and will also be able to receive “staggered and safe” visits.
García welcomed the fact that the new negative result in the 13 cases shows that “things are being done properly”, as there has been no cross-contamination with the only infected patient.
The 70-year-old man who has been in the High-Level Isolation and Treatment Unit (Uatan) since Monday of last week “is currently in a good condition and progressing well”. All possible scenarios are being examined in relation to this patient and, although it is likely to be difficult for him to receive visitors, “he is eager for the illness to pass so that he can return to his normal quarantine”, García told reporters.
Keeping a close eye on protocols
On the possibility that those admitted may be allowed to continue their quarantine at home from day 28 after their isolation began, the CSIF representative urged a step-by-step approach. He stressed, however, that this would happen if Public Health considers that “there is no problem” with them going home, although they will be keeping a very close eye on compliance with the protocols.
The union also welcomed the fact that Gómez Ulla Hospital has renewed 200 staff whose contracts were about to expire, following a meeting between CSIF and the Ministry of Public Administration, and that a further 70 people will be taken on.