Samsung has delayed shipping of its new flagship Galaxy Note 7 smartphone following reports of exploding batteries as it investigates the cause.
Samsung has gone into damage limitation mode following reports of exploding batteries in its new flagship smartphone.
The South Korean electronics giant said it has delayed shipping of the Galaxy Note 7 for quality control testing and is investigating the cause.
A company spokesperson told the Korean Times: “We have acquired the handsets, which our customers say burst into flames while charging to identify the reason. We will come up with a fix as soon as the investigation is finished. We suspended the supply of the phones earlier this week so as to double-check their safety.”
Samsung would not comment on reports it plans to recall phones that have already been sold in Korea, China, and the US to replace their batteries.
The timing of this is not good for Samsung which is counting on the device to head off the challenge from Apple’s new iPhones, expected to be unveiled next week.
Investors took fright and sold the company’s shares knocking billions off its market value.
— Galaxy Note 7 News (@GalaxyNote7News) September 1, 2016