Hamburg Airport hostage situation ends with a man in custody and 4-year-old daughter safe

Officers of German BFE police unit pictured at Hamburg Airport as the situation continues
Officers of German BFE police unit pictured at Hamburg Airport as the situation continues Copyright Gregor Fischer/Getty Images
By Euronews with AP
Share this articleComments
Share this articleClose Button
Copy/paste the article video embed link below:Copy to clipboardCopied

Police in the northern German city of Hamburg were dealing with a suspected hostage situation at the airport after a man drove through a security barrier and onto the tarmac.


A hostage situation at Hamburg Airport came to an end on Sunday, around 18 hours after a man drove his vehicle through the gates of the airport with his 4-year-old daughter inside, authorities said. The man was arrested and the girl appears to be unharmed.

Hamburg police tweeted that “the hostage situation is over. The suspect has left the car with his daughter”

“The child appears to be unharmed,” they added.

Police also said that “the man was arrested by the emergency services without resistance.”

The airport in the northern German city had been closed to passengers and flights cancelled since Saturday night when the man, who was armed, broke through an airport gate with his vehicle and fired twice into the air with a weapon, according to German news agency DPA. The man drove the vehicle just outside a terminal building and parked it under a plane.

Authorities said the man’s wife had previously contacted them about a child abduction.

Police said that the 35-year-old man had his daughter inside the car after reportedly taking her by force from the mother in a possible custody battle.

A psychologist had been negotiating with the man for 18 hours. Nobody was injured during the standoff after all passengers had evacuated the airport, police said.

The mother of the girl also arrived at the airport earlier on Sunday.

Police spokeswoman Sandra Levgruen said that officers were checking whether the suspect “still has any explosive devices on him or with him or whether they are still in the car,” DPA reported.

"We are currently assuming that he is unharmed, but he is still lying on the ground in the care of the police,” she said.

More than 100 flights were cancelled and several planes were rerouted. Thousands of travellers had been affected by the standoff and hundreds were put up at hotels close by.

Police said ON Sunday afternoon that preparations were underway for the fastest possible resumption of flight operations.

Hamburg Mayor Peter Tschentscher expressed relief that nobody was injured in the incident.

“The hostage-taking at Hamburg Airport is over after long, dramatic hours,” Tschentscher wrote on X - formerly Twitter - thanking police for their efforts.

“I wish the mother, the child and her family a lot of strength to cope with these terrible experiences,” he added.

Share this articleComments

You might also like

‘Sex noises’ interrupt Euro 2024 draw ceremony in German concert hall

Hamburg airport hostage suspect did not have weapons permit

Germany: Climate activists glue themselves to runways, causing major travel disruption