BREAKING NEWS
This content is not available in your region

Eight dead after holiday cottage poisoning on New Year's Eve

Access to the comments Comments
By Associated Press
xxxxx
xxxxx   -   Copyright  Credit: AP
Text size Aa Aa

Several people have been found dead in a cottage in southwestern Bosnia, police said on Friday.

Local media reported that eight young people died from carbon monoxide poisoning during a New Year's Eve celebration.

Local police spokeswoman Martina Medic told The Associated Press that police responded to a call around 10 am local time and went to a house in the village of Tribistovo where several people were found dead.

The village is 150 kilometres southwest of the capital Sarajevo.

The Posusje municipality, where the village is located, in a Facebook post mourned “eight young lives lost,” and urged the owners of cafes and restaurants to close down to honour the victims.

Bosnian and Croatian media said eight people, including teenagers and students, died from the poisonous gas leak apparently caused by a power generator used for heating as they celebrated New Year’s Eve in a holiday cottage.

Medic, the police spokeswoman, could not immediately confirm the death toll.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colourless, and tasteless gas that can cause sudden illness and death.