Euronews is no longer accessible on Internet Explorer. This browser is not updated by Microsoft and does not support the last technical evolutions. We encourage you to use another browser, such as Edge, Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
BREAKING NEWS

German court convicts Syrian over stabbing that triggered Chemnitz riots

German court convicts Syrian over stabbing that triggered Chemnitz riots
Alaa S., suspected of being responsible for the stabbing of Daniel H. in Chemnitz, his interpreter and lawyer Ricarda Lang arrive at a court in Dresden, Germany, August 22, 2019. Picture pixelated at source. Matthias Rietschel/Pool via REUTERS -
Copyright
POOL(Reuters)
Euronews logo
Text size Aa Aa

DRESDEN, Germany (Reuters) – A Syrian man was sentenced to nine and a half years in prison by a German court on Thursday over the fatal stabbing of a man in the eastern city of Chemnitz last year that triggered the worst far-right riots Germany had seen for decades.

The verdict handed down in the city of Dresden in the high profile case comes just over a week before elections in the region in which the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) is set to make big gains.

It is almost exactly a year since the stabbing which led to thousands of right wingers, including neo-Nazis and football hooligans, marching in Chemnitz and clashing with left wingers and police.

Images of skinheads or far-right demonstrators chasing migrants, performing the Hitler salute and attacking a Jewish restaurant, raised questions about how Germany should deal with the right wing, especially after the 2015-16 migrant crisis.

The 24-year-old Syrian, identified only as Alaa S., according to German rules, was convicted of manslaughter. The Cuban-German victim, Daniel Hillig, died of his injuries after being stabbed in Chemnitz on the sidelines of a local festival.

He was also convicted of inflicting serious bodily harm on another victim, Dimitri M., who was injured but survived.

“The accused was today found guilty of joint manslaughter and grievous bodily harm. He has therefore been sentenced to a jail term of nine years and six months,” a spokeswoman for the court said.

Prosecutors had called for a 10-year prison sentence.

Defence lawyers, who had called for their client to be acquitted, argued there was no evidence that their client had helped stab the victim and said they would appeal.

German authorities have also issued an international arrest warrant for an Iraqi suspect who has been on the run since the incident. They believe he was the main culprit in the killing.

The trial took place in Dresden, the capital of Saxony state, rather than nearby Chemnitz because of the high level of public interest in the case.

(Reporting by Reuters Television; Writing by Madeline Chambers; Editing by Alison Williams)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.