Euronews is no longer accessible on Internet Explorer. This browser is not updated by Microsoft and does not support the last technical evolutions. We encourage you to use another browser, such as Edge, Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
BREAKING NEWS

Fatigued Nadal withdraws from Cincinnati Open

Fatigued Nadal withdraws from Cincinnati Open
Aug 11, 2019; Montreal, Quebec, Canada; Rafael Nadal from Spain hits a shot against Daniil Medvedev from Russia (not pictured) during the Rogers Cup tennis tournament at Stade IGA. Mandatory Credit: Jean-Yves Ahern-USA TODAY Sports -
Copyright
Jean-Yves Ahern(Reuters)
Euronews logo
Text size Aa Aa

(Reuters) – World number two Rafa Nadal has withdrawn from this week’s Cincinnati Open due to fatigue, the tournament’s organisers said on Sunday.

The Spaniard, Cincinnati champion in 2013, beat Russia’s Daniil Medvedev to claim his fifth Rogers Cup in Montreal earlier in the day.

Cincinnati organisers also said Canadian teen Bianca Andreescu, who was crowned women’s champion at the Rogers Cup after Serena Williams retired in the final with a back injury, had also withdrawn because of a change to her schedule.

(Reporting by Simon Jennings in Bengaluru; Editing by Peter Rutherford)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.