Euronews is no longer accessible on Internet Explorer. This browser is not updated by Microsoft and does not support the last technical evolutions. We encourage you to use another browser, such as Edge, Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

BREAKING NEWS

BREAKING NEWS

Sudanese opposition rejects military's schedule for elections

Sudanese opposition rejects military's schedule for elections
Sudanese protesters use burning tyres to erect a barricade on a street, demanding that the country's Transitional Military Council hand over power to civilians, in Khartoum, Sudan June 3, 2019. REUTERS/Stringer -
Copyright
STRINGER(Reuters)
Text size Aa Aa

KHARTOUM (Reuters) – Sudan’s opposition rejected on Tuesday a plan by military authorities to hold elections within nine months, a prominent opposition figure said, after the country’s worst day of violence since ex-president Omar al-Bashir was ousted in April.

“We reject all that was stated in (Transitional Military Council Head Abdel Fattah) al-Burhan’s statement,” said Madani Abbas Madani, a leading figure in the Declaration of Freedom and Change Forces opposition alliance.

The Council said earlier on Tuesday it was cancelling all agreements with the main opposition coalition and called for elections within nine months.

Madani said an open-ended civil disobedience campaign would continue to force the military council from power.

(Reporting by Khalid Abdelaziz; Writing by Yousef Saba; editing by John Stonestreet)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.