US troops were on site of a bomb attack claimed by Islamic State that killed U.S. troops in northern Syria on Wednesday (January 16).
The attack came weeks after US President Donald Trump said the group had been defeated there and that he would pull out all American forces.
A US official who declined to be named said four US troops had been killed and three wounded in the blast.
An Islamic State-affiliated site said the blast was the work of a suicide bomber.
A war monitor said 19 people in total had died in the blast.
The attack took place in the town of Manbij, controlled by a militia allied to US-backed Kurdish forces.
As rescue helicopters came in. witnesses told NBC news that US forces may have set a dangerous pattern, coming to this the same restaurant repeatedly. IS, almost immediately, claimed responsibility.
Kurdish-forces in the battle zone say the US is leaving a war that's not finished.
Vice President Pence today, sees it differently:
“The caliphate has crumbled and ISIS has been defeated. we'll stay in the fight to ensure that ISIS does not rear its ugly head again.”
But one of President Trump's allies is warning about pulling out the 2,000 US troops in Syria too soon
“You set in motion enthusiasm by the enemy we're fighting. You make people we're trying to help wonder about us I saw this in Iraq. And I'm now seeing it in Syria” one soldier told NBC News.