Euronews is no longer accessible on Internet Explorer. This browser is not updated by Microsoft and does not support the last technical evolutions. We encourage you to use another browser, such as Edge, Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

BREAKING NEWS

BREAKING NEWS

Fifth person dies from mass shooting near Strasbourg Christmas market

 Comments
Fifth person dies from mass shooting near Strasbourg Christmas market
People gather in a central square in Strasbourg, France, on Sunday Dec.16, 2018 to remember the victims of Tuesday's Christmas market shooting. -
Copyright
Jean-Francois Badias
Text size Aa Aa

A fifth person has died as a result of the mass shooting near a Christmas market in Strasbourg, France, the Paris prosecutor's office said on Sunday.

The victim, who died from injuries sustained in the shooting Tuesday, was identified only as a Polish national. The attack also left several injured.

The suspect in the shooting, Cherif Chekatt, 29, was killed on Thursday after a shootout with police following an intense two-day manhunt that involved hundreds of officers.

Chekatt had been on the run since the attack near the popular tourist site which attracts two million people each year.

French authorities have said that Chekatt had a lengthy criminal record, with his run-ins with police starting at age 10 and his first conviction at age 13. He had previously served jail time in France, Germany, and Switzerland.

Prior to the most recent death announced Sunday, a fourth victim died Friday. Hewas identified as Italian journalist Antonio Megalizzi by Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte.

On Friday, Strasbourg reopened the Christmas market place under heavy security, Reuters reported.