This content is not available in your region

UN - Sarin was used in Syria attack

Access to the comments Comments
By Euronews
UN - Sarin was used in Syria attack

<p>Sarin gas was released during an attack in Syria earlier this month, the chief UN investigator has said.</p> <p>But Paulo Sergio Pinheiro said most of the victims in the attack were killed with conventional and not chemical weapons during an airstrike on a hospital. </p> <p>The Syrian government denies US accusations of a chemical attack in Idlib Province which killed dozens of people.</p> <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">News: <a href="https://twitter.com/antonioguterres"><code>AntonioGuterres</a> sat down with <a href="https://twitter.com/JudyWoodruff"></code>JudyWoodruff</a> to talk about Syria, UN response to global humanitarian crises, famine + more. Watch ⤵️ <a href="https://t.co/bDsX95nmMs">https://t.co/bDsX95nmMs</a></p>— United Nations (@UN) <a href="https://twitter.com/UN/status/855589187604676609">April 22, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script> <p>The UN investigator told the press that more and more civilians were falling victim to military actions, as all sides of the Syrian conflict are vying for military advantages. </p> <p>While the terrorist group was losing grounds to the east of Aleppo, other armed groups are striving to grab more grounds only to expose local civilians to more life-threatening perils.</p> <p>Meanwhile the evacuation of civilians and fighters from four besieged towns in Syria has been completed. </p> <p>Thousands of civilians and pro-government fighters arrived in army-held Aleppo, a war monitor said.</p> <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">“Syria's war will lead to the collapse of US global dominance” – Euronews exclusive <a href="https://t.co/Y0DZ4iWmiq">https://t.co/Y0DZ4iWmiq</a> <a href="https://t.co/8MHx183Iuu">pic.twitter.com/8MHx183Iuu</a></p>— euronews (@euronews) <a href="https://twitter.com/euronews/status/854775882652766208">April 19, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script> <p>In exchange, bus-loads of rebels and their relatives were transported to a rebel-held territory. </p> <p>The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Britain-based war monitor, said the 48-hour suspension was due to rebel demands for the government to free 750 prisoners under the deal. </p> <p>Rebels reached an agreement on Friday with the government for it to release the first 500 prisoners who would cross into opposition areas as part of the wider deal, a rebel official told Reuters. The other 250 prisoners would be released in coming days, he said.</p>