Saudi Arabia announces end to military campaign in YemenComments
Saudi Arabia has announced an end to its military campaign in Yemen.
After almost one month of airstrikes, Riyadh claims it has achieved its goals against Houthi rebels.
On Monday the Saudi military insisted that almost all of the military capabilities of the Houthis had been destroyed.
However, Riyadh said it will continue to target the Houthis if they are spotted undertaking any operations.
Just hours earlier, as Saudi-led airstrikes continued to hit targets in the capital of Yemen, Riyadh said it was boosting its fighting force.
The King of Saudi Arabia ordered the Saudi National Guard to join the air force and army in the campaign against the Houthis, who are allied with Iran.
At least 40 people were reported to have died in airstrikes on Tuesday, most of them civilians, according to health workers.
Dozens more were wounded.
In key towns, fighters loyal to the exiled president Abd Rabbu Mansour Hadi have been locked in battle with Houthi forces and other supporters of ex-president Ali Abdullah Saleh.
As Iran hinted that a ceasefire could be on the cards, the US boosted its presence in the region, sending an aircraft carrier and a guided missile cruiser to waters near Yemen.