At Friday prayers in Tehran there has been condemnation of the Saudi-led airstrikes against Iranian-allied militia in Yemen.
Warplanes have targeted Shi’ite Muslim Houthi forces that control Yemen’s capital, the second day of a campaign to stop the militia from expanding its rule across the country.
Prayer leader Kazem Sadeghi described the attack as an “aggression” and “interference” in Yemen’s internal affairs.
The Saudi-led coalition has logistical support from the US.
The Russian Foreign Minister, Sergei Lavrov, said: “This is a clear example of double standards.”
“Of course we never wanted what happened in Ukraine, nor what happened in Yemen,” he added. “In both cases we have a long way to go before national reconciliation.”
The Turkish President is calling for Iran to pull back whatever forces it has in Yemen, and also from Syria and Iraq.
“Iran is trying to dominate the region,” said Recep Tayyip Erdogan. “They are working on this. Can we tolerate that?
“This is disturbing many countries including Turkey and Saudi Arabia, and the Gulf States.”
The airstrikes, in which at least 40 people have so far been killed, mark a surprise escalation in the crisis in Yemen.
The Sunni monarchies in the Gulf are pledging to help the embattled Sunni President Abed-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, who fled to Saudi Arabia, amid concerns about the advance of Houthi forces.
Morocco also now says it will join the coalition.