BREAKING NEWS

Now Reading:

Prophet Mohammad on front of next Charlie Hebdo edition


France

Prophet Mohammad on front of next Charlie Hebdo edition

The latest cover of Charlie Hebdo is to depict the prophet Mohammad holding a sign reading ‘I am Charlie’ and the words ‘all is forgiven’.
The cover has already been published in French media.

Including an image of the prophet is a defiant gesture by staff members who survived last week’s attack in which 12 people were shot dead by Islamists. A spokesman said ‘it was important to cede nothing to extremists’.

Contributer Patrick Pelloux revealed what else will be in Wednesday’s edition:

“Of course we will show some drawings by Cabu, Georges, Honore, Tignous and Charb, that have never been seen before. We will write something as well which will make us feel good.”

Staff are working out of offices belonging to the newspaper Liberation where they are planning a three million edition run instead of the usual 60,000.

Heightened security is in evidence as was a sign saying saying “Blasphemy was abolished in 1789”.

Those who died at the offices of the satirical magazine in Paris where Charlie Hebdo editor and cartoonist Stephane “Charb” Charbonnier.

Cartoonists Jean “Cabu” Cabut, Bernard “Tignous” Verlhac, Georges Wolinski, and Philippe Honore.

Elsa Cayat was a psychoanalyst and columnist and economist and regular magazine columnist Bernard Maris, known to readers as Uncle Bernard also died.

Michel Renaud, who was just visiting, Mustapha Ourrad who was a proof-reader and caretaker
Frederic Boisseau were among the dead.

Police officers Franck Brinsolaro and Ahmed Merabet were also killed in the attack.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article

world news

Diamond, 80, wins New York State's biggest lotto prize