Princess Fawazia, the first wife of the Shah of Iran and a daughter and sister of Egyptian kings has died aged 92, a member of the former royal family has announced.
Her death was reported on social media by her nephew King Fuad II, who was Egypt’s last king before he was deposed in 1953, when Egypt was declared a republic.
“The royal family of Egypt announces to the nation that it is mourning the passing of Her Royal Highness Princess Fawzia Fuad, daughter of His Majesty King Fuad I and sister of His Majesty King Faruk I and aunt of his Majesty King Fuad II and the former Empress of Iran…The funeral procession for Her Royal Highness Princess Fawzia will start after noon prayer on Wednesday”
Princess Fawazia became the Queen of Iran after marrying Mohammad Reza Pahlavi in 1939, they divorced 9 years later. She remarried in Egypt in 1949 to Ismail Chirine, an Egyptian army officer.
Her relatives have said she will be buried in Cairo.
- 1Putin warns Finland: Russia will respond if Helsinki joins NATO
- 2Bangladesh police storm Dhaka restaurant after gun attack and siege
- 3Brexit sparks a political drama in the UK likened to the House of Cards
- 4EU extends sanctions against Russia over Ukraine
- 5Bangladesh police storm Dhaka restaurant after gun attack and siege
- 1Slovakia attacks EU post-Brexit direction on eve of taking over presidency
- 2Istanbul attack: suspects thought to come from former USSR
- 3Austria: Constitutional Court rules fresh presidential run-off vote must be held
- 4Putin rejects new arms race and builds bridges with Turkey
- 5Istanbul airport attack: the suspects and the victims
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 3What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 4Russia reacts to the Brexit
- 5David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
Wires > News
- 07:08 CET Six gunmen killed, 13 hostages rescued in Dhaka operation -…
- 02:53 CET Murders in El Salvador drop by half in June
- 02:22 CET Venezuela’s Maduro ends power rationing as drought eases
- 01:58 CET Mexico air lifts food into villages as teacher blockades spread
- 00:56 CET Gingrich, Christie lead Trump list of vice presidential options
- 00:16 CET Pacific Alliance must reject Brexit path, seek integration -leaders
- 23:48 CET Air strike kills two Islamic State military commanders – Pentagon
- 23:39 CET U.S. says kills up to 116 civilians in strikes outside war zones