Princess Fawazia, the first wife of the Shah of Iran and a daughter and sister of Egyptian kings has died aged 92, a member of the former royal family has announced.
Her death was reported on social media by her nephew King Fuad II, who was Egypt’s last king before he was deposed in 1953, when Egypt was declared a republic.
“The royal family of Egypt announces to the nation that it is mourning the passing of Her Royal Highness Princess Fawzia Fuad, daughter of His Majesty King Fuad I and sister of His Majesty King Faruk I and aunt of his Majesty King Fuad II and the former Empress of Iran…The funeral procession for Her Royal Highness Princess Fawzia will start after noon prayer on Wednesday”
Princess Fawazia became the Queen of Iran after marrying Mohammad Reza Pahlavi in 1939, they divorced 9 years later. She remarried in Egypt in 1949 to Ismail Chirine, an Egyptian army officer.
Her relatives have said she will be buried in Cairo.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
90,000 unaccompanied children seek refugee in Europe in 2015
What happens when a journalist disappears?
Against all odds: Leicester City create “biggest ever betting shock”
Stand-up or Sit-com? Obama contemplates life after presidency
Simplify MPs expenses to improve transparency, says campaigner
Wires > News
- 12:22 CET China to investigate hospital dying student found on search engine
- 12:15 CET Rebel rockets hit Aleppo hospital, dozens of casualties – Syrian…
- 12:08 CET Czechs to hike healthcare salaries to stop doctors from leaving…
- 11:59 CET Spanish King calls national election for June 26
- 11:52 CET U.S. service member killed in Iraq – U.S. defence chief
- 11:48 CET France’s Hollande sends labour bill to parliament in face of…
- 11:38 CET Australian government delivers sombre election budget for…
- 11:13 CET China slashes influential Communist Youth League’s budget