Travelling with pets within the EU

Travelling with pets within the EU
By Euronews
Share this articleComments
Share this articleClose Button

In this edition of U-talk Simona from Bucharest posed the following question:

“I wish to travel with my cat from Romania to Italy. What do I need to know?”

The response from Nina Koudelkova, communications officer for Europe Direct:

“Under EU rules you can freely travel with your cat, dog or ferret if it has a European pet passport. This passport is available from any authorised veterinarian and must contain details of a valid anti-rabies vaccination.

“Your animal will require an electronic microchip or a readable tattoo that has been applied before 3 July 2011 with the same code as the one documented in the passport.

“The EU pet passport can be used only for dogs, cats and ferrets. If you have other pets, such as rabbits or canaries, you should check relevant national rules on taking animals in/out of the country.

“A valid anti-rabies vaccination must be entered into your dog’s passport. Moreover, for entry to Finland, Ireland, Malta or the United Kingdom, dogs must be treated against the tapeworm Echinococcus: the treatment shall be administered by a veterinarian within a period of not more than 120 hours and not less than 24 hours before the time of scheduled entry into Finland, Ireland, Malta or the United Kingdom; and the treatment shall be certified by the administering veterinarian in the relevant section of the passport.

“If you have a dog, cat or ferret which is less than three months old and not vaccinated against rabies, you need to check the national rules of the country you are travelling to.”

For more information about the EU, call 00 800 6 7 8 9 10 11 or check out the website:
If you would also like to ask a question on U-talk, click on the button below.

If you would also like to ask a question on U-talk, click on the link below marked ‘Participate

Share this articleComments

You might also like

What has changed after Germanwings tragedy?

Know your rights when your company sends you to work in the EU

MOOC, COOC and SPOC - Different online courses, different needs