One man died and eight others were hospitalised in serious condition after drinking "contaminated" drinks at a bar in Bavaria, German police said Monday.
The man who died was 52 years old, and the others were between 33 and 52, police said in a statement.
Officers were called in at around 00.30 on Sunday morning to a restaurant in the centre of Weiden after several people experienced health problems.
"When police and ambulance services arrived at the restaurant on Unterer Markt, injured persons were found partly lying on the floor," police said in a statement.
Eight people had to be hospitalised and were on Monday morning still "undergoing medical treatment with varying degrees of injury," authorities added.
Police suspect that they drank "contaminated drinks which led to symptoms of poisoning" but didn't say what the group had been drinking because of the ongoing investigation other than it was from a shared bottle.
A probe, led by the local criminal investigation department, has been opened.
A police spokeswoman told public broadcaster Bayerischer Rundfunk that there was a suspicion of negligent homicide but that they weren't looking at any suspects for the time being.