Fresh details have emerged about the deadly shooting near Strasbourg's Christmas market on Tuesday evening.
Prosecutor Rémy Heitz held a news conference around noon CET on Wednesday.
This is what he said:
Two people died in the attack and another is brain dead.
The attacker cried "allahu akbar", according to witnesses.
The suspect, who was born in Strasbourg, still at large.
- He was spotted with a gun near Strasbourg Christmas market just before 20h on Tuesday.
- He then ran through the city streets, attacking people with a gun and a knife several times.
- He then shot at soldiers, who responded and injured the attacker in the arm.
- The suspect, named as 'Cherif C', 29, has been convicted 27 times in France, Germany and Switzerland
- He took a taxi to flee and told the driver to just move without specifying a destination.
- He was last seen after being dropped off in the southern city suburb of Neuhof.
Read more on this subject:
Do you like what Euronews does? Click to sign up for our WhatsApp newsletter, a twice-daily selection of the top stories from around Europe.