A German-Russian man staged bomb attacks on the Borussia Dortmund football team bus for money and meant to harm no-one, his lawyer says.
The suspect in last year's bombing of the Borussia Dortmund football team's bus last year has reportedly admitted carrying out the attack.
The 28-year-old, identified only as Sergej W under German privacy rules, is also quoted as saying he did not intend to kill or injure anyone.
He is charged with 28 counts of attempted murder, two counts of actual bodily harm and setting off an explosion. The trial opened last month.
His defence lawyer told journalists outside court that his client deeply regretted what he had done and that he had planned the attacks to trigger a fall in the club's share price from which he could profit.
Three explosions hit the bus as it left a hotel in the city for a Champions League game on April 11.
Dortmund defender Marc Bartra and a police officer were injured.
Agency reports say prosecutors allege that Sergej W took out a loan to place a bet that Borussia Dortmund's shares would drop in value.
He then bombed the bus and tried to disguise it as a terrorist attack.
He was arrested 10 days after the attack.
Dortmund is the only German club whose shares are listed on the stock exchange.