Firefighters still battling Portugal's deadly blaze

Firefighters still battling Portugal's deadly blaze
By Euronews
Share this articleComments
Share this articleClose Button
Copy/paste the article video embed link below:Copy to clipboardCopied

Portugal's deadly forest fire continues to burn - fireman dies of his injuries adding to 64 death toll

ADVERTISEMENT

More than 1,000 firefighters are still battling Portugal’s deadliest forest blaze which began on Saturday and has so far claimed the lives of 64 people.
More than 70 others including 13 firefighters were taken to hospital on Monday as the wildfire continues to ravage the central districts of leiria and Branco.
The death toll rose after a firefighter died of his injuries.

Water dousing of the tinder-dry area is continuing but one expert said there was still a lot of forest left which could go up in flames.

At least half the victims died in their cars as they tried to flee along a local motorway. The dead fireman is said to have been trying to help them out of their cars but was badly burned.

Portugal’s tragic forest fires.. I drove past this destroyed car, but someone, somehow, put pink flowers in the door pic.twitter.com/ABltEPXY1b

— Raphael Minder (@RaphaelMinder) June 19, 2017

Share this articleComments

You might also like

Political fallout begins after Portugal fire