As 2014 comes to a close we take a look at our top ten athletes of the year.
10. Rory McIlroy bounces back from disastrous 2013 season to win two majors, the Bridgestone Invitational, the Ryder Cup and the Race to Dubai for second time in three years.
9, Frenchman Martin Fourcade wins two biathlon gold medals at the Sochi Olympics and is crowned overall world cup champion for third straight year.
8. Serena Williams win her sixth US Open and 18th Grand Slam title – moves her to joint-fourth in the all-time list of female major winners.
7. Vincenzo Nibali wins the Tour de France by the largest margin of victory in 17 years and also completes his grand slam of the major tours.
6. Lewis Hamilton wins his second career Formula One title after a thrilling season-long battle with Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg.
5. Lionel Messi breaks the goalscoring record in the Champions league and becomes Barcelona’s all time top scorer. He also helps Argentina to World Cup final.
4. From one prolific goalscorer to another – Cristiano Ronaldo inspires Real Madrid to a record tenth Champions League title as well as the Uefa Super Cup and Copa del Rey crowns .
3. French sailor Loick Peyron wins the Route du Rhum in a record time adding that title to his long list of yachting achievements.
2. American teenager Mikaela Shiffrin ends the season as the Olympic and two time reigning World Cup champion in the slalom. A rising star is confirmed.
1. French pole vaulter and European champion Renaud Lavillenie clears 6.16m to break Sergey Bubka’s 21-year-old world record by one centimetre.
Sport Review 2014: A stunning first half
Sport Review 2014: Second half action
Sport Review of 2014: Top of the flops