Newsletter Newsletters Events Events Podcasts Videos Africanews
Loader
Advertisement

Belgian officials probe Abdeslam 'tip-off'

Belgian officials probe Abdeslam 'tip-off'
Copyright 
By Euronews
Published on
Share Comments
Share Close Button

Belgian officials are investigating whether anti-terror police missed an important tip-off about two alleged participants in the Paris attacks. Two

Belgian officials are investigating whether anti-terror police missed an important tip-off about two alleged participants in the Paris attacks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Two newspapers said on Thursday that officers failed to act on information that suggested Salah and Brahim Abdeslam had been radicalised, and were willing to carry out an attack.

Salah Abdeslam is still on the run, but his brother died during the shootings.

The Belgian dailies, La Derniere Heure and Het Laaste Nieuws, said the police received the tip-off by phone on July 2014 – some 18 months before the Paris massacre that left 130 people dead.

But prosecutors insist that it is incorrect to conclude that this means November’s attacks could have been avoided.

The investigation continues.

Go to accessibility shortcuts
Share Comments

Read more

NATO ministers meet as US plans to pull away from European security

Germany targets major stake in Europe’s tank titan KNDS

Former UK pirate radio station sorry after mistakenly announcing death of King Charles