It was launched on July 29, described by Microsoft as a “new era in personal computing” with a whole new philosophy in a “mobile first, cloud first world”.
Windows 10 was offered free to users of Windows 7 and 8.1 in 190 countries.
New features in the company’s latest operating system include a voice-controlled assistant (like Apple’s virtual celebrity Siri), faster browsing, personalised gaming, a more user-friendly interface and a return of the Start button.
Is this the last chance for Windows?
Microsoft is probably hoping that Windows 10 will help erase the memories of previous versions. Its predecessors Vista and Windows 8 were both widely criticised.
There are several theories about the choice of name for the latest release – one widely-touted possible explanation for the decision to call it Windows ‘10’ and not ‘9’ is that it could be a way to distance the system from the previous version.
So, three weeks after the release, how is Windows 10 seen now? Does the much-hyped “new era” stand up?
- There have been many, many downloads of Windows 10. More than 50 million according to several sources. The digital reviewer Digital Trends considered that Microsoft could look back on a job well done’
- The market share of the new system is said to be “increasing at a remarkable pace”, reaching record numbers in some countries, and “going really well in Europe”.
- It looks nice and it’s user-friendly. The ‘Metro’ start screen that caused so much criticism in Windows 8 has been replaced by the Start menu. For one reviewer it’s the Windows OS you want to use, unlike Windows 8 which left people “disappointed, confused and apprehensive about upgrading”, and way better than “the disaster that was Vista”.
- Windows 10 seems to have achieved geek approval – one the whole.
- Even some Apple users like it (as Windows 10 runs in Mac)
- Some don’t like the advanced copyright features, saying Windows can scan your computer and disable any software or hardware it believes to be illegal.
- Ditto with the privacy issue. The default configuration shares your personal data with Microsoft. But there is reportedly a fix.
- Wait a moment. Some say the fix doesn’t fix it!
- Windows 10 apparently shares your Internet connection to upgrade other users.
- A problem of constant reboots for a small number of users has led to criticism about the new automatic updates.
- Edge – the new browser and replacement for the relegated Internet Explorer – has not yet taken off with only a minority of people using it. Have people lost trust in any browser from Microsoft?
- Some highlight Windows 10’s worst problems while offering solutions.
WHAT DO WINDOWS 10 USERS THINK?
nothing better than wasting hours of your day off trying to do something that used to take seconds #Windows10Fail— Matt Bowns (@MattBowns) August 19, 2015
Windows</a> you going to pay for a new laptop after <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/windows10?src=hash">#windows10</a> has destroyed mine? <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Windows10Fail?src=hash">#Windows10Fail</a> <a href="http://t.co/KztnJfWm0Y">pic.twitter.com/KztnJfWm0Y</a></p>— Noel Williams® (TheNoelwilliams) August 19, 2015
AND EURONEWS FOLLOWERS?
Here are some comments from our Facebook pages in our various language services. You can leave yours:
Chelsea R Dagger: I downloaded it, and returned to Windows7 a week later. Too frustrating to use and completely superfluous
Robert Manjani: Problems and slow…maybe it will get better though considering going back to Windows 7
Colin Allen: I have tried to upgrade but I’m not having any joy at the moment. There seems to be an error on a file somewhere also my security programme has developed a conflict at the same time. Very strange. Looks like our computer man has to vsit(two computers).
Fabian Morin: computer doesnt sleep right but other than that, its great, its a lighter program than 7 and too many positives to consider going back to 7.
Kamal Ahmed: So far I am happy with windows 10.
Dan Mihu: I have upgraded three of my computers (two from Win 7 and one from Win 8.1). So far I am very happy with Windows 10.
Paul Micallef: Downloaded Windows 10 2 weeks ago and I can say that it performs better on my PC than Windows 8. It is faster and with less complications. No regrets at all.
Marcel Rothe: I had to “cheat” to get Windows 10, but for me it is the best system until now. One needs to update the driver and deactivate the spy functions. In the beginning there were some problems with the USB-Headset, but it is OK now. Very good for video games… In general the programmes are more stable and better than on windows 7.
Cat Ya: All programmes work as with Windows 7, no driver problems. I am afraid of spying: Cortana, Wireless password sharing. Search for unlawful used software.
Christian Herning-Fassbender: One should not criticize a present (gift for free), but here it is worth being cautious.
: – Not counting one mistake in the built-in outlook, I am absolutely satisfied, I have only positive experiences. Faster, clearer than 8.1 was. – Win10 killed my audio and video drivers. – Many programs and games are not starting in it. It’s slower than Win7 was and it’s difficult to find programs in the system.
Kostya Kvakin: After 2 months of using this OS I think it is a bad one. Downloads and install the updates all together took more than 7 hours. I won’t use this OS if you will pay me.
Yurii Vasilyev: I’ve changed Windows10 very easily from Windows7. In my opinion, it’s a good OS, it works quickly. There is no incompatibility with my software and games… new menu looks great.
Yurii Volochin: This is the best operating system from Microsoft in its history.
Sergey Tupikov: It’s a comfortable and modern operating system.
Giorgi Valashvili: I’ve use it for a month. Everything is OK. There are no bugs. I really love it. The computer performance has increased significantly. The new browser Google Chrome tears and all the other … So I advise everyone Windows10!!!
Vladimir Mitrohin: I did not like it. Firstly, the system is still a work progress, even with a new laptop there are some bugs… For example, the wireless mouse freezes for 5 seconds, not all programs work with this system.
Sergey Nazarov: It has a terrible ugly interface.