Some 2,700 migrants were plucked from the Mediterranean and brought to Italy in the space of 24 hours between July 15 and 16, 2015.
The Italian coast guard confirmed the figure, saying nine dinghies and four wooden boats had been intercepted.
Around 350 people arrived in Pozzallo, a port on the island of Sicily.
Aid workers conducting initial interviews with those disembarking said they seemed to be of Eritrean nationality.
Their boat journey began in Libya, where several appeared to have been held in detention.
The rescue was a combined effort between the German and Italian navies, the Italian Coast Guard and Doctors Without Borders.
It came a week after the European Union announced the number of migrants seeking shelter within its borders had skyrocketed by 68 percent between January and the end of May, 2015, compared with the same period the previous year.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.