BREAKING NEWS

Now Reading:

More than a million take shelter as Typhoon Hagupit hits the Philippines


Philippines

More than a million take shelter as Typhoon Hagupit hits the Philippines

At least two people have been confirmed dead after a massive typhoon swept across eastern and central Philippines on Sunday.

Typhoon Hagupit took down power along the coast, ripped off roofs and brought down trees before weakening. At times there were gusts of wind at 170 kilometres per hour.

More than a million people have taken refuge in shelters.

Resident Thelma Acuna said: “where can we stay after this? Right now we are staying at an evacuation site in Leyte High School. If we can’t stay in this tent, we have no place to stay.”

Locals said the storm had left a much smaller aftermath compared to last year’s typhoon which left more than 7,000 dead and levelled entire villages.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article

world news

Renewed protests in Mexico as remains of one of missing students identified