29/08/14 12:46 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
This is the amateur footage of a volcanic eruption in Papua New Guinea.
It was captured earlier on Friday (August 30) morning, after Mount Tavurvur on East New Britain Island erupted hours before dawn, according to a bulletin from the Rabaul Volcanological Observatory.
It comes as Iceland raised its aviation warning level near the Bardarbunga volcano to red after an eruption overnight. In 2010, an ash cloud from the Eyjafjallajokull volcano closed much of Europe’s airspace for six days.
The Papua New Guinea eruption caused some aircraft to alter their flight paths.
“Flight paths between Sydney and Narita (Tokyo) and Sydney and Shanghai have been altered as a result of the volcanic ash cloud over Rabaul in eastern Papua New Guinea,” Qantas spokeswoman Sarah Algar told Reuters.
“The QF21, QF22 and QF130 will now fly over central Papua New Guinea to avoid the cloud.”
Authorities have not issued an evacuation order for the town closest to the volcano, Rabaul, which was destroyed in 1994 during a previous but more severe eruption.
“People still live here, we have to get on with our daily lives,” Rabaul Hotel employee Susie McGrade told Australia’s ABC radio.
“We’re up on the rooves, cleaning off the ash, we’ve got to save our property, try and get back to normal, so what can we do? We’ve got no where else to go.”
There have been no reports of injuries.
#Tavurvur this AM, #Rabaul district affected so far,
BurnetInstitute</a> staff all ok, hoping all closer got out <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PNG?src=hash">#PNG</a>. <a href="http://t.co/5icUSLzEUQ">pic.twitter.com/5icUSLzEUQ</a></p>— Shelley Hendel (Shelleyjlh) August 29, 2014
Credit: Shelley Hendel/Twitter (picture); Facebook/ Jason Tassell (video)
- 1Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 2Turkey threatens to unleash refugees on Europe
- 3Democratic nomination: Clinton crushes Sanders – thanks to “superdelegates”
- 4Russian aircraft strike ‘extremist’ targets in Syria’s Aleppo province
- 5Nigeria: suicide bomber turns herself in after recognising relatives among potential victims
- 1Turkey blames US for ‘sea of blood’ in region
- 2Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 3Nigeria: suicide bomber turns herself in after recognising relatives among potential victims
- 4Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 5World powers arrive in Munich hoping to resurrect Syrian peace talks
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Partnering to grow Europe
- 5Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 8Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 15latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18French language revolution in France
- 19Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 20world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
Clinton, Sanders clash in first one-on-one debate after New Hampshire
Democratic nomination: Clinton crushes Sanders – thanks to “superdelegates”
Cypriot president says peace talks make progress but work needed
Gravitational waves detected for the first time
The dangerous and illegal trade in counterfeit medicines
Wires > News
- 08:11 CET Australian Cabinet minister resigns over unofficial China trip
- 07:10 CET Beijing offers support for Hong Kong after New Year violence
- 05:29 CET South Korea, U.S. to discuss missile defence; South cuts power to…
- 05:12 CET Venezuela top court grants Maduro economic emergency powers…
- 04:02 CET Britain says missing Hong Kong bookseller ‘involuntarily removed‘…
- 03:15 CET Oregon standoff ends after 41 days with dramatic surrender
- 02:26 CET Saudi warns U.N., aid workers to leave rebel-held areas in Yemen
- 01:26 CET U.S. Defense Department promises plan to defeat Islamic State