29/08/14 12:46 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
This is the amateur footage of a volcanic eruption in Papua New Guinea.
It was captured earlier on Friday (August 30) morning, after Mount Tavurvur on East New Britain Island erupted hours before dawn, according to a bulletin from the Rabaul Volcanological Observatory.
It comes as Iceland raised its aviation warning level near the Bardarbunga volcano to red after an eruption overnight. In 2010, an ash cloud from the Eyjafjallajokull volcano closed much of Europe’s airspace for six days.
The Papua New Guinea eruption caused some aircraft to alter their flight paths.
“Flight paths between Sydney and Narita (Tokyo) and Sydney and Shanghai have been altered as a result of the volcanic ash cloud over Rabaul in eastern Papua New Guinea,” Qantas spokeswoman Sarah Algar told Reuters.
“The QF21, QF22 and QF130 will now fly over central Papua New Guinea to avoid the cloud.”
Authorities have not issued an evacuation order for the town closest to the volcano, Rabaul, which was destroyed in 1994 during a previous but more severe eruption.
“People still live here, we have to get on with our daily lives,” Rabaul Hotel employee Susie McGrade told Australia’s ABC radio.
“We’re up on the rooves, cleaning off the ash, we’ve got to save our property, try and get back to normal, so what can we do? We’ve got no where else to go.”
There have been no reports of injuries.
#Tavurvur this AM, #Rabaul district affected so far,
BurnetInstitute</a> staff all ok, hoping all closer got out <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PNG?src=hash">#PNG</a>. <a href="http://t.co/5icUSLzEUQ">pic.twitter.com/5icUSLzEUQ</a></p>— Shelley Hendel (Shelleyjlh) August 29, 2014
Credit: Shelley Hendel/Twitter (picture); Facebook/ Jason Tassell (video)
- 1The EU’s 27 leaders “unite” as they view the future minus the UK
- 2Russia reacts to the Brexit
- 3Black box confirms smoke on board doomed EgyptAir flight
- 4Nicola Sturgeon gets ‘sympathetic’ reception in Brussels over Brexit
- 5Turkey mourns as the first funeral takes place of a victim from the Istanbul airport attack
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Wires > News
- 13:54 CET Pakistan plans talks with Afghanistan, U.N. agency over refugees‘…
- 13:52 CET Unions reject French government amendments to labour law reform
- 13:50 CET Belgium transfers Paris attacks suspect to France
- 13:44 CET China issues rare rebuke in police brutality case
- 13:27 CET France’s Sarkozy overtakes rival Juppe in poll, eyes party…
- 13:21 CET Istanbul bombers were Russian, Uzbek, Kyrgyz nationals – Turkish…
- 12:37 CET Vietnam court sentences Australian woman, 73, to death on heroin…
- 12:15 CET Palestinian kills teen in Israeli settlement, then shot dead – army