29/08/14 12:46 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
This is the amateur footage of a volcanic eruption in Papua New Guinea.
It was captured earlier on Friday (August 30) morning, after Mount Tavurvur on East New Britain Island erupted hours before dawn, according to a bulletin from the Rabaul Volcanological Observatory.
It comes as Iceland raised its aviation warning level near the Bardarbunga volcano to red after an eruption overnight. In 2010, an ash cloud from the Eyjafjallajokull volcano closed much of Europe’s airspace for six days.
The Papua New Guinea eruption caused some aircraft to alter their flight paths.
“Flight paths between Sydney and Narita (Tokyo) and Sydney and Shanghai have been altered as a result of the volcanic ash cloud over Rabaul in eastern Papua New Guinea,” Qantas spokeswoman Sarah Algar told Reuters.
“The QF21, QF22 and QF130 will now fly over central Papua New Guinea to avoid the cloud.”
Authorities have not issued an evacuation order for the town closest to the volcano, Rabaul, which was destroyed in 1994 during a previous but more severe eruption.
“People still live here, we have to get on with our daily lives,” Rabaul Hotel employee Susie McGrade told Australia’s ABC radio.
“We’re up on the rooves, cleaning off the ash, we’ve got to save our property, try and get back to normal, so what can we do? We’ve got no where else to go.”
There have been no reports of injuries.
#Tavurvur this AM, #Rabaul district affected so far,
BurnetInstitute</a> staff all ok, hoping all closer got out <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PNG?src=hash">#PNG</a>. <a href="http://t.co/5icUSLzEUQ">pic.twitter.com/5icUSLzEUQ</a></p>— Shelley Hendel (Shelleyjlh) August 29, 2014
Credit: Shelley Hendel/Twitter (picture); Facebook/ Jason Tassell (video)
- 1Turkey: two journalists jailed over Syria smuggling reports
- 2Merkel faces call to resign amid migrant crisis criticism
- 3Questions raised after pro-Kurdish lawyer shot dead in southern Turkey
- 4All eyes on King Tut’s tomb in search for ancient Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti
- 5Another border fence in Europe ahead of crucial migration summit
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
- 3Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 4Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 5Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 4Crimea: state of emergency declared
- 5Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 13‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Latest News Bulletin
- 18Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid
Hamburg 2024 Olympic bid rests on referendum
Marathon great Radcliffe cleared of all doping charges
Black Friday in America: crowds in stores thin, but big at computers
French Foreign Minister foresees Syrian forces in the fight against ISIL
What is the EU’s drive for a circular economy all about?
Wires > News
- 16:05 CET From penguins to Pope’s shoes, climate rallies pressure U.N. summit
- 15:55 CET Turkey recovers body of pilot from downed Russian jet
- 15:53 CET Minister signals German trust could handle nuclear waste storage
- 15:24 CET Thousands gather for funeral of top Kurdish lawyer
- 15:13 CET Syria’s Assad says his enemies increasing support for insurgents
- 14:34 CET EU seeks Turkish help to slow migrants for cash, EU membership…
- 13:46 CET Slovakia to file lawsuit over EU migrant quotas before December 18…
- 13:34 CET Paris attacks a risk for recovery in Italy – minister tells…