09/01/14 13:51 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A European Parliament committee has voted in favour of allowing whistlebower Edward Snowden to testify to the chamber in a special hearing. The proposal has divided MEPs and risks undermining US/EU relations.
The hearing could take place in April, but only if it is approved by a full parliament vote next month.
The Civil Liberties Committee back the planned appearance by 36 votes in favour, two members voted against, and there was one abstention.
The former US National Security Agency worker would testify by interactive video link from Russia, where he has been granted temporary asylum.
Washington is seeking to have Snowden extradited to the US to face espionage charges.
He fled the country after leaking documents about the NSA’s spying activities, including its widespread monitoring of telephone and email data.
Subsequent revelations that German Chancellor Angela Merkel’s mobile phone had been monitored caused uproar across the EU.
Nevertheless, some centre-right MEPs are opposed to allowing Snowden to testify. Others are open to the idea but question its purpose.
“What can he explain to us that hasn’t already been published?” asked German MEP Axel Voss in December. Voss is from Merkel’s Christian Democrats, who belong to the centre-right European People’s Party grouping.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Wires > News
- 01:19 CET Dutch PM Rutte wants ‘binding’ assurances over EU’s Ukraine deal
- 01:18 CET As Duterte takes over in Philippines, police killings stir fear
- 00:15 CET Italy, Netherlands propose split U.N. Security Council seat for…
- 00:12 CET Clinton leads Trump by 11 points in U.S. presidential race -…
- 00:09 CET Canada presses China over reports of Hong Kong visa clamp down
- 23:44 CET Exclusive – Trump supporters more likely to view blacks…
- 23:11 CET Women subjected to torture by Mexican police, armed forces – report
- 23:01 CET Emergency call log details horror of Orlando nightclub shooting