06/01/14 09:09 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
When a group of nuns in Spain casually checked their answerphone, it’s the last thing they would have expected.
But among the messages for the convent in southern Spain was one from Pope Francis, left on New Year’s Eve.
“What can the nuns be doing that stops them answering the phone?” said Pope Francis, chuckling, in the message he left for the Barefoot Carmelites of Lucena, aired on Spanish radio. “This is Pope Francis,” he went on. “I wanted to give you New Year’s greetings. I’ll see if I can reach you later. God bless you,” he said.
The prioress of the convent, Sister Adriana, told COPE radio station she and the four other nuns were not listening for the phone because they were busy at their midday prayers.
She said the Pope was an old friend of some of the nuns in their group, who, like him, come from Argentina. They now run the convent in a working class suburb of Lucena, a town in southern Spain. “When my duties allowed me to go to the phone, I literally wanted to die” on hearing the missed message, Adriana said. “I took down the message and passed it on. We told ourselves we were fulfilling our duty. We never thought the Pope would remember us,” she added.
Extinction threat for people with albinism in Malawi as ritual murders rise
UK expats abroad for over 15 years banned from Brexit vote
Facebook triples profits: social media can be addictive to investors, too
Salah Abdeslam ‘as bright as an empty ashtray’, says his lawyer
Turkey, Malta and Italy ‘worst’ when it comes to work gender gap
Wires > News
- 19:42 CET Aviation industry seeks EU intervention in Britain-Spain row over…
- 19:19 CET U.N. chief open to helping in Iran-U.S. dispute over assets
- 19:14 CET Argentine unions flex muscle in anti-government street protest
- 18:56 CET Strike on Afghan hospital last year not a war crime – U.S. military
- 18:50 CET ‘Monstrous’ violence in Syria as government excludes Aleppo from…
- 18:42 CET McDonald’s probes copycat burger joint in separatist east Ukraine
- 18:17 CET Iran moderates eye more gains in run-off parliamentary election
- 18:06 CET U.N. demands restoration of Western Sahara mission