Mario, Nintendo’s flagship character is celebrating his 32nd birthday. He first appeared in a videogame on July 9 1981, in the original Donkey Kong game, created by Japanese game designer Shigeru Miyamoto.
In his debut appearance Mario’s name was “Jumpman”, a carpenter with a pet ape. Jumpman mistreats the ape, causing Donkey Kong to kidnap Jumpman’s girlfriend, originally known as the Lady, but later renamed Pauline. The player’s goal is to take on the role of Jumpman and rescue his girlfriend.
In 1982, the character was renamed “Mario” in the arcade game Donkey Kong Junior, it is the only game in which Mario is portrayed as a villain.
One year later, in 1983, Mario appeared in arcade game Mario Bros with his younger brother Luigi, both are portrayed as Italian-American plumbers. In the video game, Mario and Luigi must defeat creatures emerging from the sewers below New York. Mario and Luigi’s surname was Mario, meaning the elder brother’s name is “Mario Mario”.
In 1985, the videogame Super Mario Bros is released. Mario’s goal in the videogame is to conquer the eight worlds of the Mushroom Kingdom, fight King Koopa and free Princess Toadstool.
In the sequel, named Super Mario Bros. 2, the player can choose between the chararcters: Mario, Luigi, Toad, or Princess Peach. Each character possesses unique abilities. Luigi has stronger jumping abilities, Toad can dig the fastest, and Peach can float, but Mario is the most well-rounded of the crew.
In Super Mario Bros. 3, Mario’s quest is to save the rulers of the seven kingdoms from Bowser and his children, the Koopalings. Mario travels across eight worlds to restore order to the Mushroom World and to rescue Princess Peach. Mario is introduced to new power-ups that augment his abilities.
Mario’s 3D debut is in Super Mario 64. Once again facing Bowser, Mario must free Princess Peach, if he is successful after his numerous trials, she rewards him by baking a cake.
For more information about Mario visit Nintendo’s webpage dedicated to the videogame hero.
- 1Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
- 2Ukraine: Civilians killed in shelling amid fragile truce
- 3Migrant crisis becomes hot political issue in Britain and France
- 4Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
- 5Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
UAE petrol prices start riding high
David Cameron moves to protect children from online porn
And also… Porn on parliament computers; crowdfunding for historic space suit; and drunk badger sleeps it off on beach
Explainer: why the blue moon will not be blue
India to pass China to be world’s most populous country – study
Wires > News
- 11:27 CET Palestinian youth dies after West Bank clash with Israeli troops
- 11:23 CET Yemeni vice president arrives in Aden – airport official
- 10:26 CET Exclusive – Donald Trump’s companies have sought visas to import…
- 08:24 CET Plane debris arrives in France for Malaysia crash investigation
- 07:06 CET On Army Day, China warns of growing border security risks
- 04:47 CET Mexican judge suspends U.S. extradition order for fugitive ‘Chapo‘…
- 02:55 CET Recovered plane debris flown to France for checks
- 01:40 CET Iraq’s Kurdistan laments caught in middle of Turkey-PKK fight