Euronews is no longer accessible on Internet Explorer. This browser is not updated by Microsoft and does not support the last technical evolutions. We encourage you to use another browser, such as Edge, Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
BREAKING NEWS

At least 10 dead, dozens missing after landslide in southern Myanmar

Euronews logo
Text size Aa Aa

By Thu Thu Aung and Zaw Naing Oo

YANGON (Reuters) – At least 10 people have been killed and dozens are missing after

a landslide caused by severe rains buried homes and buildings in southern Myanmar, officials and rescue workers said on Friday.

Heavy rain has pummelled the south for days, causing flooding that has displaced at least 12,000 people, according to the United Nations.

Thin Lae War Aung, an official in Paung township, Mon state, told Reuters five men and five women had been confirmed dead after the landslide in Mudon village.

Myo Myint Shein, chairman of the Mudon Rescue Association, said the death toll was 17 and expected to rise.

“I heard a loud sound and the ground was shaking,” he told Reuters. “It’s not possible to be alive after being hit by rock and soil.”

The U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said in a statement that houses and a school had been washed away in other townships. More heavy rainfall is expected in the coming days.

(Reporting by Thu Thu Aung and Zaw Naing Oo. Writing by Poppy McPherson; Editing by Angus MacSwan)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.