Euronews is no longer accessible on Internet Explorer. This browser is not updated by Microsoft and does not support the last technical evolutions. We encourage you to use another browser, such as Edge, Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
BREAKING NEWS

Cyprus extends remand of seven Israelis for alleged rape, five freed

Euronews logo
Text size Aa Aa

ATHENS (Reuters) – A court in Cyprus on Friday detained seven Israeli youths for further questioning in connection with a group rape alleged by a British tourist on the island.

A total of 12 individuals had initially been detained on a court order last week after a 19-year-old woman said she had been assaulted in a hotel room in the resort of Ayia Napa.

Cypriot authorities released five of them late on Thursday.

A magistrate ordered the remaining seven be held for another six days for questioning, a police spokeswoman said.

Israeli media have quoted parents of the youths denying the allegations.

(Writing by Michele Kambas; Editing by Alison Williams)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.