LONDON (Reuters) – Tottenham Hotspur have further delayed the opening of their new stadium until at least the New Year as work continues to iron out issues with the “critical safety systems” at their revamped White Hart Lane venue.
The Premier League club, which finished third in the standings last season, had been scheduled to play their first game at the new 62,000-capacity arena on Sept. 15, but that unveiling was pushed back. It was then delayed for a second time on Friday.
In a statement on its website, the London club blamed “factors completely outside of our control, contractors missing deadlines and possible future unforeseen issues” for the latest delay.
Spurs will not now host a game at their new home until Jan. 13 at the earliest, when they are due to face Manchester United in the Premier League.
For now, they will continue to stage their home games at Wembley Stadium.
“We are conscious of the need to keep pressure on our contractors to deliver as soon as possible,” club chairman Daniel Levy said in a statement.
“We have taken the decision to confirm today that all home games will be played at Wembley Stadium up to and including the game against Wolverhampton Wanderers on 29 December.
“We know the continued delay is a source of immense disappointment to everyone and I can only continue to apologise for this – it is a sentiment felt by all of us.”
In August, Tottenham said testing had shown up issues with the safety system.
“We have not stood still whilst work on the critical safety systems has been happening,” Levy said on Friday.
(Reporting by Pritha Sarkar; Editing by Hugh Lawson)