Loader
Advertisement

US-backed troops advance into Raqqah's Old City

US-backed troops advance into Raqqah's Old City
Copyright 
By Euronews
Published on
Share Comments Add Euronews on Google
Share Close Button

The US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) has breached the Old City of Raqqah

The US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) has breached the Old City of Raqqah.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

A statement from the Combined Joint Task Force says the Kurdish-led troops battling ISIL have advanced into the Old City’s most heavily fortified area after opening two gaps in the historic wall surrounding it.

The statement says making new gaps in the wall allowed troops avoid ISIL booby traps which had been placed along existing breaks in the wall.

#SDF gains foothold into #Raqqa Old City, another step closer to #DefeatDaesh. #ISIS‘ self-declared “caliphate” is crumbling. pic.twitter.com/rmYZnOPCmc

— OIR Spokesman (@OIRSpox) July 4, 2017

ISIS on the run: Closing in on #Raqqa https://t.co/5WBn83vLt1

— IKON London Magazine (@Ikoniclondon) July 3, 2017

Go to accessibility shortcuts
Share Comments Add Euronews on Google

Read more

Syria sentences Bashar al-Assad to death in absentia for war crimes and crimes against humanity

Syria hunts down suspects in March coastal attacks, dismantles IS cells in Aleppo

UN chief calls for end of all sanctions on Syria during second day of visit