Despite worsening weather conditions, rescue teams in central Italy say they haven’t given up hope of finding more survivors from a hotel which was completely buried by an avalanche.
So far five people have been confirmed dead, and 11 pulled out alive.
But the number of missing has risen to 24, up by one.
A hotel employee of Senegalese origin, is now thought to have been inside the luxury resort when the avalanche hit.
Officials believe there may still be spaces and air pockets inside the crushed hotel.
Italian Army spokesman Major Marco Amoriello said:
“The situation is still complex, because the weather conditions as you can see are still difficult, there is a joint and important effort, there are many people here working, the army is in the area with three teams that are alternating without a break. We are digging non-stop to try to find the people as quickly as possible who are still missing.’‘
While the frantic search to find more people alive remains a race against the clock, Italian media say nine of the survivors, who are being treated in hospital, will be discharged on Monday.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.