British police investigating claims of widespread child sex abuse in football dating back decades said on Friday they had identified 83 suspects and possible links to 98 clubs.
They say officers are looking into hundreds of cases after a helpline was set up by a children’s charity.
The inquiry has been steadily expanding since a former player, Andy Woodward, complained he had been abused as a boy by a youth team coach.
Several former professionals are among those who’ve now come forward. The vast majority are male; the alleged offences happened when the players were aged between seven and 20.
Chelsea have apologised to a former player after paying him to keep quiet about abuse he suffered.
The potential victims include at least two ex-English internationals but the investigation covers clubs at all levels, involving police forces all over the country.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.