Otto was the first hurricane ever known to have hit Costa Rica and it caused a national emergency to be declared.
In a tweet Costa Rica’s president said that at least nine people had died and 2,500 people evacuated. He’s declared three days of national mourning.
Lamentamos profundamente la muerte de 9 personas por efectos de huracán #Otto en Bagaces y Upala— Luis Guillermo Solís (@luisguillermosr) November 25, 2016
At least another six people are also known to be missing and now an extensive clean up operation is underway.
Otto battered the country with high winds and torrential rain after it arrived on Thursday morning.
Severe weather caused by Otto killed four people in Panama earlier in the week.
After leaving Costa Rica Otto weakened into a tropic storm and moved onto neighbouring Nicaragua before heading out into the Pacific Ocean.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.