A man suspected of planning a bomb attack has been captured in Leipzig after a two-day manhunt.
📢NEWS: Tired but overjoyed: we captured the terror suspect last night in Leipzig❗️— Polizei Sachsen (@PolizeiSachsen) October 10, 2016
German police had been looking for 22-year-old Syrian refugee Jeber Albakr since a raid on an apartment in the eastern city of Chemnitz uncovered several hundred grammes of reportedly “highly volatile” explosives.
Media reports suggest al-Bakr may have been planning to target a Berlin airport. He has been taken to Karlsruhe, where he’s to appear before a court.
A spokesperson for the federal prosecutor’s office in the western city of Karlsruhe said all signs pointed to an Islamist-motivated attack.
“The overall picture of the investigation, in particular the amount of the explosive found, suggests that the person was planning to carry out an Islamist-motivated attack.”
Islamist militant group ISIL claimed responsibility for attacks on a train near Wuerzburg and at a music festival in Ansbach. The July incidents wounded 20 people.
Albakr arrived in Germany in 2015 and is officially recognised as a refugee, Saxony authorities said at the weekend.
The news that a refugee is suspected of planning such an attack is likely to prove unwelcome for German Chancellor Angela Merkel. Her Conservative CDU Party is flagging in the polls, while the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) is gaining support.
Merkel’s open-door policy saw the arrival of almost a million migrants in 2015 alone. She was quoted in September as saying she wished she could “turn back the time by many, many years” to better prepare for the influx.