Now Reading:

Police fail to capture Syrian bomb attack suspect

world news

Police fail to capture Syrian bomb attack suspect


Police in Germany have raided a second apartment block in their manhunt for a Syrian refugee suspected of planning a bomb attack.

They arrested one person during the raid in the eastern town of Chemnitz without firing a shot.

The suspect, 22 year old Jabu Albak who was born in Damascus, is still on the run. He narrowly evaded capture by the police when they raided his flat in the town on Saturday.

“The person that we’ve been searching for since yesterday, also by appealing to the public, has unfortunately slipped through the net. The search continues without let-up. In the meanwhile we have received more than 80 tip-offs, from phonecalls and through the internet,” a Saxony police spokesman, Tom Bernhardt, said.

Hundreds of grammes of TATP, a highly volatile but easy to produce explosive, were found at Albakr’s flat, the same kind as was used in the attacks on Paris and Brussels which killed dozens of people earlier this year.

One eyewitness from the apartment block described the moment the police confronted their suspect.

“They were standing there with their automatic pistols with the red light in front pointed at him and I screamed at them ‘we’re the tenants, we’re nobody’ with hands up. It was a bit ‘criminal’. We were really afraid and it was scary. I don’t wish it on anybody,” she said.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article