The Syrian Army’s offensive in rebel-held eastern-Aleppo is said to have been the heaviest in months. Over 90 people were killed and at least 200 were injured. The death toll is still rising. 15 neighbourhoods were hit and Russian jets were involved according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
Rescue group targeted
3 of the 4
SyriaCivilDef</a> centers in Aleppo city targeted this morning. 60 air strikes in East Aleppo <a href="https://t.co/g5seYilDbY">pic.twitter.com/g5seYilDbY</a></p>— The White Helmets (SyriaCivilDef) September 23, 2016
Several Syrian civil defence group centres were targeted.
The group recently won the alternative Nobel prize for their bravery in rescuing civilians.
3 of 4— Kat Fallon (@katfallon11) September 23, 2016
SyriaCivilDef</a> centrs in <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Aleppo?src=hash">#Aleppo</a> targeted today. Their Aleppo headquarters featured in <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/WhiteHelmets?src=hash">#WhiteHelmets</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/netflix">netflix doc destroyed by regime pic.twitter.com/dtX2U8vBVS
Volunteering in mortal danger
Images are emerging which show volunteers working tirelessly. Rescuers managed to save a toddler but volunteers say operating in the face of these deadly attacks is growing increasingly difficult.
A ‘ground offensive’ to come
The Syrian Military say the strikes precede a ground offensive. A quarter of a million people are estimated to be trapped in the besieged parts of Aleppo.
State media reports the army has prepared exit points to ensure civilians can flee – though this has been contested.
Images show a 5 year-old-girl being rescued from the rubble in the aftermath of the airstrikes but her parents and siblings were killed.Hopes that last week’s ceasefire might be renewed now seem more distant than ever.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.