14/01 00:51 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A car bomb explosion followed by a shootout in front of a police headquarters in Diyarbakir province in southeast Turkey has left five people dead and at least 36 injured.
Local media reported the deaths, which included that of a baby, occured when a nearby police accommodation building collapsed in the blast.
A government source says the attackers were Kurdish PKK fighters but that has not been confirmed.
A separate attack targeted a police station in Midyat using rocket launchers although no casualties were initially reported.
Turkey has been on high alert since Tuesday’s suicide bombing in Istanbul which left 12 people dead, mostly German tourists. That attack has been blamed on ISIL militants by the Turkish government.
Counterterror operations have been intensified following recent attacks – some said to be by ISIL others by the PKK which is recognized as a terrorist organization by the U.S., the EU and Turkey.
Formed in 1978, the terrorist group has been fighting the Turkish government for an independent state until the early 2000’s. The group then shifted its goal to autonomy in predominately Kurdish inhabited regions of Turkey.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Latest world news
UK: who are the Famous Five?
Brussels summit closes with questions on how the European Union will function in the future in the wake of Brexit
Istanbul attack: suspected bombers ‘from Russia, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan’
Boris Johnson pulls out of race to be UK PM
Boris Johnson says he won’t run to be next UK prime minister
Wires > News
- 17:27 CET West cooperating secretly with Damascus against militants – Assad
- 17:18 CET Hungary minister says might vote to quit EU if government held…
- 17:10 CET Yugoslav tribunal upholds sentences against Bosnian Serbs
- 16:58 CET Slovakia says western members can’t dictate EU future after Brexit
- 16:55 CET British American Tobacco vows to investigate child workers in…
- 16:51 CET Human smugglers hail Uber drivers to take migrants to U.S.-Mexico…
- 16:45 CET Best foot forward – Thai elephant gets her ninth prosthetic leg
- 16:44 CET Islamic State kills Christian priest in Egypt’s North Sinai