Close
Log in
Please enter your login details

Skip to main content

Belgium: More arrests in alleged New Year’s Eve terror plot

31/12/15 15:46 CET

Belgium: More arrests in alleged New Year’s Eve terror plot
close share panel

Share this article

Twitter Facebook

A court in Brussels has ruled that two Belgian nationals arrested earlier this week on suspicion of planning a terrorist attack in the city on New Year’s Eve can be held in custody for a further month.

The decision on the pair, identified at Said S and Mohammed K, came as police detained six more people in connection with the alleged plot.

Lawyers acting for the first two men told reporters that their clients denied all the accusations against them.

It is understood that both are members of the Kamikaze Riders, a Brussels-based motorbike group whose members are mostly of North African origin and carry out bike stunts which can be seen in online videos

Authorities in Brussels have called off the traditional New Year’s Eve fireworks display in the capital, citing fears of a militant attack.

The city has also been at the heart of investigations into November’s attacks in Paris in which 130 people were killed.

On Wednesday, Belgian police arrested a tenth suspect over those killings, during a house search in the capital.

The 22-year-old, also a Belgian citizen, has been charged with terrorist murder and participation in a terrorist organisation.

More about: